Little Pawns

Yes.  We all do.  However, I feel like there has been an epidemic spreading through Kris fans and it is mostly in regards to this adds date.  Going to use this thread to clear some things up that people might not be aware of. 

"Why wont Jive just give the song an adds date already?  Its just a simple date."

To people outside of radio, the adds date is your signal that the record label is pushing the song to radio. The date itself doesnt matter, its the promo behind that date that is impacting radio's decision to add it or not.  When a radio station goes to add a song, they are not doing it by logging into FMQB and checking which songs have an adds date that day.  They are doing it based on the loads of promo they have been recently receiving.  There is a lot of time and money that goes into the radio promo that we never see.  You are not suppose to ever see any of that promo, and that is intentional, as labels want it to look like the radio stations came onto the song on their own.

"Without an adds date, AWM will never go anywhere."

Correct.  Without an adds date, you have to be a MAJOR staple on radio to do anything (think Gaga and thats about it).  The good news is that there is nothing saying that AWM will never get an adds date.  Just because it is not happening immediately does not mean that it is not happening.  What we do know is that 2 radio shows have already been scheduled in december.  These would be of no benefit at all if AWM wasnt going to be pushed. 

"So right now, AWM has no adds date and wont do well on radio without one.  I'm not going to bother requesting until it gets one."

This is actually the opposite stance that you want to have.  Right now is the absolute most crucial time to request and do whatever you can to get the song some radio play.  Jive is testing the waters and wanting to see what kind of reaction the song is getting.  Stuff like Radio Sophie, a top 20 market, playing it in regular rotation right off the bat is AMAZING and is exactly the kind of thing that Jive would use in its marketing promo to other radio stations. 

"I went to request AWM from my local station and the DJ said they didn't have it."

DJ's are personalities and thats what they are hired for.  When dealing with major stations, the DJ is almost never the PD (Program Director) and doesnt really have any kind of final say in what is played on the station.  If you are using the correct channels and requesting where the station is telling you to request from, this information will get passed along to the PD at some point, but dont expect the DJ to know what AWM's current status is with the station.  Get the request in, and be as friendly as possible to whoever you are talking to.  Remember that EVERY SINGLE SPIN is HUGE right now, and being able to make the smallest dent is what will get AWM off the ground.

"I hate Jive / 19.  LETS START A TWITTER CAMPAIGN!"

No.  Spamming Jive / 19 to give AWM an adds date accomplishes nothing and there are many other things you could be doing.  If AWM dies out and Kris goes on hiatus for a year not doing anything, then w/e, feel free to hate-spam them.  Don't waste your time doing it now when plenty of other things can be done such as show promo, merch / logo design, radio requests, poll spamming, commenting on articles / polls.  I understand the frustration that people are feeling, but it is best to use this to drive yourself towards getting more active.

Please feel free to use this thread to ask any other questions you have.  Will be glad to help in anyway I can.

Views: 15

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Nick, can you put these links where they go? I can't find the Yellow Team link or I would add them myself.

I requested AWM from all 3 of these stations via the online form. It may not be the ~best way to git er done, but I know that WKZL hardly ever answers the phone--or it's ~always busy. Thanks.

NORTH CAROLINA
#25 WNKS-FM Charlotte at (704) 570-9595 request line / online request form at http://mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplayl...p?c_let=WNKS-FM / find DJ e-mails at http://www.kiss951.com
#43 WDCG-FM Raleigh at (919) 860-1051 request line / online request form at http://mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplayl...p?c_let=WDCG-FM
#45 WKZL-FM Greensboro at (800) 682-1075 request line / online request form at http://mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplayl...p?c_let=WKZL-FM
I totally agree - I'd never say they're lying because I really don't know. I just figured that every monitored HAC (thanks for that clarification) station is someplace we can request and expect the possibility of getting it played.

I usually include a link to a recent youtube in those online request forms that have a comment box. And I try to add one other soundbite, too, in case they decide to play it, and need something to say about it. "Kris co-wrote this with Joe King of The Fray" is a good soundbite.
I have a couple of questions.

1) We frequently see the Add's page updated on a Monday and it shows songs being added up to three week from now. Given that, why shouldn't we be concerned that AWM has not been given a date yet? Today there was only one "regulat" HAC available but there were about 15 Christmas songs suddenly available. Once those start getting added, I feel like we're screwed. (Although LLWD did get added a lot after Christmas, Kris won't be touring then and I can't imagine they are going to fly him around to do radio promo in the New Year.)

2) Has anyone asked Lizzie/lizbiz8 about this? I know someone here has a ~relationship with her but I don't know who. While I think Jive has dropped the ball in general, I don't think Lizzie has and so I certainly don't want to question her via twitter, not even once. But if someone here could get some kind of answer from her privately, that could put a lot of our speculation and worrying to rest.

Sorry, didn't mean to make those questions so long.
Thanks Nick - This is helpful for me and I appreciate it.

I asked this elsewhere - but when requesting the radio stations to play - how often do you submit the mediabase form without being annoying? 1X/day? 1X/week?

And I agree with the comment that some of the Jive spamming is just coming from the frustration of making the requests and being told by the stations that they don't have it or "insert what station makes up" here. We're doing our part so I guess we want to know that the other pieces of the puzzle are doing theirs. I don't know if it's that bad to let them know what the stations are telling us. But as you pointed out, probably not helpful so I shall stop on my end.

Altrus01 - you mentioned Lizzie - I am probably wrong but I don't think she is a Jive person, I think she's a 19M person. Sometimes she answers krinjalists DMs but about tour stuff and it seems wise to send those sparingly so IDK if it's warranted yet.
Thanks for the info, I will certainly be requesting this week. It really is a good song, one that many people will like if they get the chance to hear it. I don't think the few stations that are playing it would play it as much as they are unless they are getting a good reaction from the general population, not just Kris stans. It is a little frustrating, because I know if other stations would give it a chance it would do well.
I'm staying positive, though, and will go forth and request with a smile on my face!
Altrus01 said:
I have a couple of questions.

1) We frequently see the Add's page updated on a Monday and it shows songs being added up to three week from now. Given that, why shouldn't we be concerned that AWM has not been given a date yet?

2) Has anyone asked Lizzie/lizbiz8 about this?
1) I'm not entirely sure what the first part of this is about... if you're talking about FMQB's "Available for Airplay" page - it's generally speaking a less reliable source of information than AllAccess's equivalent "Future Releases." This seems to be especially true as it relates to the HAC format. (In this case, AllAccess and FMQB are displaying the same information, I just thought that'd be a good point to clarify.) I think Nick's general points in this post pretty much answer the concern over the adds date situation.

2) As someone else mentioned, Lizzie does not work for Jive. I doubt she has much experience at all working with radio stations.

Final note about that Mediabase request form that always seems to end up floating around whenever fans get invested in new songs - make sure your station actually takes online requests from that form before using it. If your station doesn't link to the Mediabase request form on their website then they won't take into account requests via the form. Again, the best ways to request are always station-specific.
I read some of the conversations earlier today and yesterday. Well, right now, I didn't read back to find out who said what - I'm just going from the top of my head. So I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but just only putting my thoughts in after some observation of the timeline since Kris first announced the third single. Just for perspective.

Kris first tweeted for fans to request AWM in his tweet right?
KrisAllen: "Alright With Me" has been released to radio! So call your radio stations and request that stuff! #alrightwithme

Since Kris was going to be in New York for Fall Tour, it was convenient to schedule MTV and Entertainment Weekly interviews. I'm sure everyone (Kris, Jive, 19, etc.) knows we pay attention to Jim Cantiello and Michael Slezak, not only that - those guys love Kris. This is like, free promotion for AWM without putting forth money (other than hotel stay, if there was one).

In his MTV interview with Jim, Kris said, "I think the reason we're doing a third single is we really wanted, obviously everyone believes in this song, but we're going back out on tour so... and we wanted to be promoting something I guess. Hopefully it just blows up, and I think the fans will make that happen. I really do."

In Slezak's interview he said, "I don't think it [The Truth] had as much success, obviously. Um, so, I think, I was a little worried, I don't know if we're be able to do a third single. Like, 'Does the label think it's marketable enough to do a third single?' I've been really excited about it, and glad the radio stations have started playing it. The fans are really excited about it."

I think the hint in all of this is that, right now, I feel like the third single is dependent on the response of fans. Getting the word out to radio and other people. That the label (or whoever else) is watching and waiting to make the move to dump their money onto pushing AWM. Which I think means Kris himself is really depending on the fans to step up (since he's dependent on the label keep or believe in him) - to prove that people do want what Kris puts out there. We know he is not a salesman or doesn't like advertising himself, but I think these things said in tweets and interviews were meant to be obvious hints to those of us paying attention. Yeah, we want the label to support him as much as we do and that he deserves. After looking back, I'm glad Kris (and fans, haha) were given a chance to have a third single. I actually wanted him to have one, because I thought it was important (just my opinion) for him to release a song he had writing credits for because he is supposed to be a singer/songwriter, he was pinned or marketed as one (aside from American Idol winner)...and the fact that he is one. I think he should get one more chance at a little success coming out of his debut album. Anyway, allz I'm saying is - thank God Kris and Lifehouse hooked-up for tour. I wonder if it would have been different if there wasn't one. If Kris's fans are supportive as the word out there that says we are (which is true :) ), that we want to hear his songs on radio, and that his fanbase is continually growing, as doubtful as any of us can be, I think it pushes the label to have a little more confidence that Kris can succeed or do well when they release a new song or album.

Regarding somebody saying something about Christmas songs taking over during the Holidays: Am I not mistaken that Christmas songs are only (or at least mostly) played on AC stations? Isn't our intention for any of Kris' singles to make it into the HAC & Top 40 charts? Isn't AC the format where songs play forever after trying/succeeding in HAC/Top 40 formats? If this is the case, i'm not that worried about Christmas/Holiday songs taking up space.

Anyhoo, I guess I said enough :) Happy...uh, November.
Snap, we can't know for sure without asking someone in the know, but I completely agree with you. Kris is relying on us to show to Jive that AWM does have potential. If we can show them that the potential is there, they will not pass on what would be a hit. For now, its going to seem like an uphill battle, but the effort is worth it!
dy77 said:
Thanks Nick - This is helpful for me and I appreciate it.

I asked this elsewhere - but when requesting the radio stations to play - how often do you submit the mediabase form without being annoying? 1X/day? 1X/week?

I would go with once a day on this. Also, like taks said, make sure that your local radio station accepts these as a form of request.
snapcracklypop, that was me that mentioned the holiday slow down and Hot AC is affected by it.

thesecrumbs said:
snapcracklypop, that was me that mentioned the holiday slow down and Hot AC is affected by it.

I think the slowdown is less due to the Christmas music invasion (which does mostly affect AC), and more to the fact that it's almost impossible to get anything of substance done in December due to everyone being on holiday.

But if we can get even some momentum started, there's no reason it shouldn't pick back up in January, right?

Michelle said:

thesecrumbs said:

I think the slowdown is less due to the Christmas music invasion (which does mostly affect AC), and more to the fact that it's almost impossible to get anything of substance done in December due to everyone being on holiday.

But if we can get even some momentum started, there's no reason it shouldn't pick back up in January, right?

My new best friend, the radio PD/DJ, said that if the label doesn't push a song before Thanksgiving, they'll just wait until January. There's no point in pushing anything in there, because no HAC station will play new music during that time - they have their 15 top songs and that's what will get airplay around all the holiday music. (Kind of depressing... and the reason radio is so boring over the holidays...)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Little Pawns.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service